In my previous blog just a few days ago on the Manchester Attacks, I had expressed concern regarding the lowering of threat levels from critical to severe, despite the fact that terrorists regularly call for people to launch attacks on innocents in the month of Ramadan.I had also expressed concerns regarding lapses in security and intelligence.Unfortunately, my concerns were correct.
On Saturday, 6th June 2017, shortly after 22:00 (10 p.m.) the UK became victim to a third terror attack in less than three months in which 7 people have been reportedly killed and more than 40 wounded.
A speeding white transit van ploughed into a crowd of people on London Bridge.The van then crashed. 3 people got out of the van and brandishing 12 inch knives stabbed people in Borough Market.The men were wearing “hoax” suicide vests.The 3 attackers have been shot and killed within 8 minutes of having received the first call.
As per reports of eyewitness accounts the men were shouting “This is for Allah” as they indiscriminately stabbed people.
What is indeed perplexing is the urgency of the UK authorities to sort of relax and try to project that everything was back to normal after the 522 Manchester Arena Attack. While it is completely understandable that the intelligence agencies a limited by the enormity of this new type of terrorism where every wannabe Jihadi can suddenly tip over and start attacking without formal training and formal communications / instructions from the professional terror group, what can’t be forgiven is the ridiculously naive belief within the intelligence agencies, the administrators and counter terrorism organizations that the “attacks are over for now”
It appears that the entire set up needs massive overhauling and the definition of the new “normal” needs to be established again. A new “normal” can definitely be more screening, stricter vigilance, restrictions on internet and even higher levels of invasion of privacy. It simply can’t be more innocents being slaughtered on a regular basis in order to justify one’s faith in fairyland.
Even as you are reading this blog, the new harsh and horrifying reality is unfolding before our very eyes.
READ THE REMAINING BLOG: HERE
Counter Terrorism: How do you get every shade in the right place?
The recent bombing in Manchester Arena during a concert by Ariana Grande on 22nd May 2017 may ultimately well end up being a statistic for global terrorism activities. But those agencies responsible for waging a war against terror would do well to wake up and smell the coffee and consider this event as a cornerstone for anti terrorism measures. But what is so special about this particular event? Here is what it is:
1. The attack is on the soil of a country which practically wrote the book on intelligence. The MI6 in conjunction with the resources available to them through Five Eyes ,where intelligence is shared between United Kingdom, United States, New Zealand, Australia and Canada is supposed to be able to detect and predict such events. They have access to the most advanced technology and whatever it is that is required to prevent such attacks. Clearly, if they couldn’t prevent it, it’s very unlikely any other country could.
2. The Manchester Arena attack took place at a time when the US, the UK, Russia, Iran, France and a host of other countries are intervening actively against ISIS. Given the past history of ISIS being able to motivate local European people into inflicting small to medium level casualties within their countries, such an attack was to be expected and prevented.
4. Given the above fact, and the fact that UK elections were due, it is worrying to note that the threat level had not been raised to “Critical”, before the attack. Further, it is even more concerning that the Manchester Arena Attack took place, given that before the attack the threat level declared was “Severe – An attack is highly likely”.
As of 27th May 2017, the threat level has been again reduced to “Severe” from “Critical” and the haste for doing so is rather puzzling.
5. It brings forth the embarrassing and depressing question – what more can you do?
Read the rest of the article here : LINK
Manchester Arena Attack – Are we letting terrorists kill us at the time of their choosing?
At the very onset I would like to clarify 2 things.
(1) I condemn the ghastly attack on innocent people specially children.
(2) The Manchester Arena attack is just one of the many attacks where I am surprised at how Governments act or react.
So through this one attack I am questioning the general inaction and the bizarre reactions of most Governments the world over “combating” terrorism.What was most disappointing for me was the fact that this could happen in the United Kingdom. I mean if this was in some country like Afghanistan or Iraq, where you cant tell a terrorist from a fruit vendor, then those Government’s oversights could probably be understood. This blog has been written to express my sheer frustration and disgust and believe me it only pains me to write this piece.
The latest bomb attack in Manchester Arena (it is said the explosion took place “outside the Venue in a public place”) where Ariana Grande was performing and where 22 have been reported to be killed (mostly youngsters) is outrageous as it is shocking.
Here are some of the things which are shocking me till my eyeballs pop:
- People visiting the arena claimed there were inadequate security checks, specially from Victoria station to the surprising extent that even metal detectors were not deployed.
- The attack was allegedly carried out by a 22 year old (Salman Ramadan Abedi)- police have named him as a suspect- although (cough) the coroner hasn’t yet identified his body.
- Abedi it seems had no problems bringing in a bomb IED packed with nuts and bolts.
- Abedi, could do all of this when the security status of United Kingdom was already declared as “severe” .It’s now been declared as “critical” – whatever that means.
- Actually they say “critical” means that soldiers will be deployed in several locations. One media house clarified “several locations” to mean “The military will guard key sites including Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, embassies and the Palace of Westminster.” I could not find any public places frequented by Commoners listed anywhere, but I will assume that there must surely be extra security for other events and concerts in the future. But wait, so you mean to tell me that the army plans to shoot down a person who is already on a deathwish AFTER he detonates a bomb killing many including himself. Or maybe they plan to shoot him down AFTER he has run a truck over 10 to 20 people in a public place. It must make sense to the Government on some strange manner.
- Back to Abedi, they say he was “known to the authorities” and visited Libya regularly (a country known for ISIS influence).He was also a University dropout.In fact he had just returned from there recently. So is there anybody in the intelligence agencies using their intelligence?? While so many of us are strip searched and questioned, it seems that the actual terrorists can go, receive professional terrorist training and return- a walk in the park thank you very much.
- ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack online. Wait , so you are telling me , a wanted terrorist organisation which the most powerful countries are hunting and destroying with sophisticated technology costing billions of dollars has the ability to talk to us and claim credit? Please don’t tell me they (ISIS)told us this over a cup of tea.
Read the article here : LINK